Purest Filters - Custom & Complete Home & Commercial Water Treatment Systems
Purest Filters - Well Water Treatment Specialists: Specialty Filters & UV Water Sanitizing
Purest Filters - Whole House Complete Water Filtering and UV Sanitizing Systems
Purest Filters - Home, City, Rural & Well Water Complete Water Filtering and UV Disinfection Systems
Purest Filters - Well Water Treatment Systems - Whole House Water Purifiers & Filters -
Point of Entry & Point of Use Water Systems - Specialty & Custom Water Treatment Solutions - Over 15 YEARS of Sales & Service
Ground water that has excessive minerals in it is called hard water. Hard water
doesn't dissolve soap and detergent very well and leaves behind scale, which
stain toilets and sinks. Installing a water softener will reduce the amount of
minerals, and provide your house with soft water.
The following is a general guideline to the steps necessary to install a water
softener into your home. Some installations may have their own unique issues,
and of course follow the installation steps that may be included with the system
that you purchase.
Minimum items you should need for your water softener installation:
Potassium chloride salt or sodium chloride for your softener
1. Read all the directions that came with your water softener before you began
the installation. If they vary from the general instructions we've provided
below - you should follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer /
retailer of your specific water softener, as there might be a specific variation
in a standard water softener installation that is required for the water
softener model you purchased.
2. Shut off the water to the house and turn off the power to the hot water
3. Turn on all the faucets and outside hoses to drain your water lines before
you put in a water softener.
4. Position your water conditioner in a dry, safe area that is level. Most water
softeners have 2 tanks, and you need to set them next to each other.
5. Measure the length between the cold water line and the bypass ports on the
water softener tank with a measuring tape. Cut a piece of copper tubing that
length, and solder fittings on the ends. Water conditioner installation includes
some soldering work.
6. Follow the manufacturer's direction to install the discharge tube on the
water softener head.
7. Run the overflow tube that's attached to the side of the water conditioner
tank and the discharge tube to a drain. With water softener installation, you
must provide drainage.
8. Put the bypass valve on to the water conditioner's head valve. Adjust the
screws on the stainless steel clamps with a screwdriver to seat the valve. When
you install a water softener, be sure to have all your tools ready.
9. Connect the copper tubing that delivers water to the bypass valve. Use a
wrench to tighten the supply tube nuts. When you put in a water softener, don't
wrench the nuts too tight.
10. Attach the copper tubing from the water conditioner to the water lines.
Scrub the fittings and the pipes with steel wool. When installing a water
conditioner, you'll need to solder the fitting to the pipes.
Solder the fittings together by applying flux and melting it with a propane
11. Turn your electric heater and the water to the house back on.
12. Plug the control valve in and put about 4 gallons (15.142 liters) of water
into the brine tank. Water softener installation includes setting up the brine
tank, and you'll need to add 40 lbs. (18.144 kg) of potassium chloride salt or
sodium chloride to the unit.
13. Put your conditioner into the backwash stage and set the bypass valve to the
service position. To put in a water softener, open the water supply valve to the
1/4 position to let oxygen run from the drain line.
14. Turn the water supply valve completely on when a steady stream of water
appears at the drain.
15. Let the conditioner run through the complete backwash cycle when installing
a water softener.
16. Test the system for leaks. If any water is escaping, check your soldering
and the nuts. Re-solder or tighten nuts to repair any leaks.
**Free Ground Shipping in
Continental U.S. for all items under 80 lbs at shipping weight.
Many items above 80 lbs require additional shipping costs. Those
items are clearly marked.
not include auction and bidding style competitors and web sites, or
competitors that are selling factory refurbished or not new in the
As we offer FREE Ground Shipping on most items - Price Match
Guarantee will match competitors price plus any shipping charges
they may apply to the item we are matching.
Price Match Guarantee is valid for day of sale only.
Lowest Price Guarantee is only applicable to any item priced at
$299.00 or above.